Tuesday, March 30, 2010

DRUG DEALERS

I thought that the text was interesting, and I have to say that so far am enjoying this book, the different topics that the authors talk about. However back to the point, why do drug dealers still leave with their moms? When one defines a drug dealer, they tend to say rich, always on the street or maybe have a lot of guns, but all that is true except for the part where they have a lot of money, well at least not all of them. I used to think they had a lot of money and were well off not until I read chapter three of freakonomics. I found out that the reason why drug dealers live with their moms is because they don't make enough to pay for their housing and in my mind I was asking myself, then why put yourself through all that danger if you’re not making a lot of money? Well most people join gangs or sell drugs because they have a need to belong and they want to be a part of a group that accepts them for who they are and gangs give them that. When they join gangs they become a part of a family and as we know, in a family one is willing to do whatever it is for a family member, so they are willing to risk their lives. I thought that the statistics in the book were interesting, where the chances of them dying are one in four. One thing that surprised me was TJ who after he graduated from college, he went back and did what he was doing before which is drug dealing, and I though drug dealers were uneducated but I guess I was wrong. I would never have thought that one would graduate from a four year institute and use his degree to sell drugs on the streets. Overall I enjoyed reading chapter 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment